Pages

PETAL BELLE

7/06/2009

Petal Belle CLOSED... dammitall...
PETAL BELLE
158 Sullivan Street
New York, NY 10012
(212) 677-1580


The first time I walked past Petal Belle, I was dying from a lack of caffeine. Their door was locked, forcing me to find a new source of liquid energy, but a quick peek in the window cemented my resolve to return. Petal Belle is a small European-style cafe in the style I just love. From the sandwich-board and the tin lamps outside, to the checkered tile and ceiling fans inside, I knew that I would find this place to be a relaxing respite from the day. And I wasn't wrong. When I finally was able to come and sit, I felt completely at ease. The Sunday Times crossword wasn't gonna beat me this time, dammit!



I went to Petal Belle for waffles. Belgian waffles. But they serve a variety of pan-European bistro fare, from paninis and pastries to quiche and gelato, from coffees to loose tea. Almost everyone who came in while I was there was ordering a panini. The staff was very courteous and smiling and I'd go back just for that warmth, even if the food was awful. Luckily, it was not.



I asked the woman behind the counter about what waffles she liked and she mentioned two. "I'll take both," I said, "and a cappuccino, too." The first to arrive was the Sugar Waffle, pictured below. It was a bit dry, but take a bite with a sip of cappuccino and you'll be in heaven. The cappuccino, not to go off track, was excellent. Back to the waffle, like I said, it was a wee bit dry, but with a hint of cinnamon and very sweet. You could almost taste the individual sugar grains as they hit your tongue.



In stark contrast, the next waffle I had was the Brussels Hot Iron Waffle, a cream cheese waffle with whipped cream, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and banana. This was very light, very moist, and absolutely delicious. It's also very big. You could share it with someone and there was no way I could finish it, especially having just had another waffle.



My two waffles and a cappuccino came to a bit under $16. Petal Belle is not open Monday or Tuesday.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

The contents of this website/weblog are the property of its author and are protected under the copyright and intellectual property laws of the United States of America. The views expressed within are the opinions of the author. All rights reserved.

Readers are free to copy and distribute the material contained within, but such external use of the author's original material must be properly attributed to the author. Attribution may be through a link to the author's original work. Derivative use is prohibited. The borrower may not alter, transform, or build upon the work borrowed.

The author is free to change the terms of this copyright at any time and without notice. At the written request by the borrower, the author may choose to waive these rights.

Labels

Press